A Consumer Resource for Independent Artists

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Staying organized, old school.

I firmly believe that one of the best ways to maintain an aura of professionalism is to be organized, particularly with regards to one's schedule.  If you are a gigging musician or someone who manages one, this is extremely important!  It is absolutely vital to maintain some sort of a day planner, and by this I mean a hard copy.  This is not to say that you can't keep your calendar straight by keeping upcoming obligations on your computer or smart phone, but it is a good idea to have a place where you write it all down first.  I have an inexpensive Mead Monthly/Day Planner (can be found at your local Wal-Mart), and unlike other scheduling devices that I've used in the past, I can truthfully say that it has never let me down by crashing.  It doesn't quit working if I accidentally drop it and it never needs to recharge.  If I spill coffee on it, it will continue to tell me what I need to know.  It lives in my briefcase, and I refer to it often. 

I've tried keeping my schedule in electronic format only.  For several years I had PDA that I carried.  It was glitchy.  Even though it could be backed up, it was far too easy for the data to become corrupted.  By keeping a hard copy of dates, notes and contact information, I have spared myself a lot of stress and misery.  

So, tell me...what do YOU use to keep track of your schedule and important bits of information?  I hope it isn't Post-it Notes.  I know someone who does that, and the results are, well--sticky.

1 comment:

  1. Currently I'm using a two-year pocket monthly planner from the Humane Society. Mom's on a bunch of catalog lists and gets an array of calendars.
    Aside from keeping track of what I have to do, it helps to have a records of gigs I've done, especially at tax time. Also, there's the occasional birthday etc.

    ReplyDelete